Are you ready for 2015? While everyone else is focused on Christmas and the holidays my mind is occupied with 2015 and what I want to accomplish. Setting goals has become an important process in our home and has allowed for some major changes this year.
For example, the goal this year was to get our finances in order. In my opening post, I talked about holding myself accountable for a journey in debt reduction. We’ve done well this year. That simple goal has led both my husband and myself to jobs we now like. It has increased our income by $12,000 a year. We have paid off about 5 medical bills and all of our bills are being paid on time. That was not the case at the beginning of this year. We also completed a No Spending Challenge and learned a lot about ourselves during that time.
Setting that one goal for our family made a huge difference in our lives. As I look to next year, I thought I would share my goal setting process with you.
This entire site is based on The Wheel of Life by Zig Ziglar and it has been since day 1. This wheel represents the different aspects of life. If there is a section of this wheel that is “flat”, meaning you’re not handling it, then your wheel won’t roll, or life is not smooth. I always look at this image when considering my goals. After a bit of reflection I chose 3 areas in my life that need work:
1. Physical- I chose this area as a goal because my health needs improvement. I have chronic back pain, I’m overweight, and I need to quit smoking. It’s time to make this a major priority.
2. Financial- I chose this area because we still have debt, and while my husband and I made HUGE improvements in money management this year, we still have room for A LOT more improvement.
3. Family- I am using this category in a different way than you might initially think it would be used. Our family is my husband, me, and 4 furbabies. However, our family also lives in a household and general household management is WAY out of control. A house is consistently a hot mess, and I AM OVER IT. For me, Family, means being a better homemaker, spending more quality time with my husband, and making sure we are in control of house instead of the reverse!
Making Your Goals Attainable
Once you have chosen your goal(s) you need to reflect on the goals. Sit down and think about how you’re going to work on those goals and how you’re going to make an action plan. Using my goals as an example, I am going to break them down into manageable goals.
A) Chronic Back Pain
1) Do Physical Therapy Exercises twice a week
2) Practice Kung Fu twice a week outside of class
B) Weight Loss
1) Adjust diet to healthier foods
2) Ride exercise bike twice a week along with other exercises
3) Spend 15 minutes of my lunch break walking
4) Lose 10 lbs. per month until weight goal is met
C) Quit Smoking
1) Set a quit date
2) Switch to E-Cigs (already did it)
3) Lower dosage of nicotine with E-Cigs until quit date
4) Quit using nicotine products by quit date
A) Make a financial plan to be consumer debt free by the end of 2015
B) Get a fully funded emergency fund in place
A) Spend 20 minutes a day EVERY DAY cleaning/organizing the house
B) Make a monthly home maintenance list and follow it
C) Schedule regular date nights with my husband
Once you have a general idea of your goals, break them down as far as YOU NEED to break them down to make them attainable. Using just one category for me as a example:
3. Family- C) Schedule regular date nights with my husband- 4 dates per month:
3. Visit someplace new in the state
4. Stay in the house and have a bed picnic (That’s where we binge watch tv shows or movies all day long and eat snacks/food that is super quick to prepare)
GOALS are something you have to really want. GOALS are something that MUST keep YOU motivated regardless of anything else that goes on around you. GOALS are what will make you get out of bed 15 minutes earlier on that frosty winter morning because you know you WANT to do it. They are not a New Year Resolution, they are not a quick fix, but they are a marathon that you have to WANT to run. GOALS are a way to find your purpose, to be in control, and most of all something you know only YOU can finish.
Have you started setting goals for 2015? Tell me YOUR goals and how you plan to achieve them!!!by